Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Trip to the Zoo



I realized just now as I was looking back through the blog that I didn't write about the zoo trip that we did a couple of weeks ago with this same group. I can't say that James pays much attention to the animals themselves yet, but he did enjoy a few of the exhibits. I think the more that we go, the more he'll like it. Luckily, the price for a year pass is very good, so I think we'll have to get one of those so that we can have that be one of the things we do fairly often.
It was spring break here on the day we went, so the exhibits were pretty packed, but it was still fun to get out and to show the animals to James that we read about in his books. I don't think he really understood that these were the same things, but he'll get it soon enough.
Unfortunately, two memorable things happened that day--one to me and one to my friend.
James lost a shoe at the zoo that day (I know, not a huge deal, but very frustrating because he wanted to get down and walk, but I didn't want him getting out without shoes on). The other thing was one of the women that I went with lost her daughter for about 10 minutes. It was obviously very scary for her and we all ran around the zoo searching for her. Emily (the little girl) is only three and gets scared of people she doesn't know very easily, so, needless to say, she was very frightened by the time mother and daughter were reunited. It reminded me of the time I got lost at the Thomas and Mack Center when we were there for a regional conference (that's the big sports arena on UNLV campus). I haven't thought about that much since it happened, but as a mother now, I realize how scary that is to realize you have no idea where your child is. Hopefully that will never happen to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment