Friday, April 3, 2009

Ramblings

I am lucky enough to have two friends from my old ward who have invited me along to their M-W-F morning walks along the Rillito River trail. We do three miles each day and it definitely makes me feel better having done something that day. But today Jennifer and I talked about our physical goals for the upcoming little while and I decided that I need to share them with you all so that you can keep me on track. We both decided that we would love to do a half marathon. Now I haven't decided whether I want that to be a real one, or one that I just get out there and decide I'm running 13 miles, but I really think I feel a sense of great accomplishment either way. Anyway who knows me (especially Paul) knows that I didn't have a great love of running when I was a teenager and into early adulthood. Actually, to tell the truth, I hated every time I ran. I felt AWFUL each time I would attempt that first run after a long, long time of no running, and it kept me from ever trying a second run. Every six months or so, I would forget how bad I hated it the last time and try it again, but it never stuck until now. After I had James, I wanted to so badly to be back to the size/weight that I was before I got pregnant with him that I was willing to try anything...even running. And I've found, now that I've done it for a few months now, that I actually quite enjoy it. It's the first week or so that's REALLY bad, and then you slowly acquire the running legs. I'm still not very good, but I'm getting better bit by bit, day by day. Anyway, so after that long explanation, that is how I came to the decision of today that I would like to run 13 miles. I don't want to really shoot myself in the foot and try for a whole marathon the first time and never want to run again after I do it. So I figure if I take baby steps, then I'll eventually be able to run faster, longer. I've tried running on a treadmill near a mirror and watch myself so I can fix my form, but all I can do is just watch as my face gets beet-red and my semi-normal form slowly creeps into the wounded-deer form that is quickly becoming my trademark. But all that aside, I need you all to keep me honest and keep me in line. Ask me how I'm doing so that I don't give up. :)

1 comment:

  1. I think you should do an actual half-marathon because it is so much fun to do the whole experience. Depending on when you are planning on doing it, I might even try to join you:)

    ReplyDelete